Re: No right or middle click on XFCE desktop after Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 07:25:14AM -0800, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> dmacdoug wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 06:02:27PM -0800, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> > > Is xfdesktop running?
>
> > No, it isn't.  It looks like pretty much everything else in
> > xfce is running, but xfdesktop isn't.
>
> Assuming it's installed (good point, Lisi), I would try just running it
> from a shell or Alt-F2.  Once you get it running, as long as you have
> your session set to remember what processes are running, it should start
> when you log in again.

It is installed and I've tried running it from a shell.  The man page
says it should be started without arguments, but when I do that it
says "Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:" so I guess it's
trying to find some arguments in some config file.  I've looked for
where it might be looking for them and why it can't parse them but
there seem to be quite a few config xml files and I haven't yet
figured out which one or ones it is attempting to parse and why it
can't parse them.

I was hoping it might have an option to run verbosely so I could see
where it is failing but no such luck.  I may have to download the
source and read it to find out where those error messages are
pointing to.  If someone can suggest an easier way, I'm all ears.

Thanks for letting me know that once I get it to start xfce should
keep track of that and restart it the next time, I didn't know that.

Don