Re: set domain name in Debian `

On 15/11/2016 15:45, Brian wrote:
On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 15:02:54 +0000, Joe wrote:

That's fairly common, the exim4 default if enabled is to check that the HELO
is resolvable at all, not that it matches anything specific. It's a few
years since I last did it, but when I used telnet to talk to remote mail
servers I used a well-known six character domain name as HELO to save
typing, one to which I had no entitlement, and nothing ever complained.

Are you sure that is the default?

Not default, 'default if enabled'. HELO checking is initially turned off, if you just turn it on, it doesn't look for a specific match. There are systems which do look for a HELO which is related to the email itself, which I don't think is a good idea.

--
Joe