btrfs filesystem full problems (was Re: A full /var partition destroyed 3 hours of my life!)

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:00:37AM -0500, Borden Rhodes wrote:
> I tried booting up into Debian and got all sorts of systemd breakages
> apparently because my /var partition was full.
> I start blindly casting whatever btrfs spells...

Aha! brtfs!

> My question, therefore, is whether this is a btrfs bug that got
> triggered by the full /var partition or whether Debian is designed to
> break irrecoverably when /var fills up. Any ideas of what happened?

It sounds like btrfs specific behaviour. It would be interesting to know
what kernel version and btrfs version you were using, if only to confirm
my suspicion that even the versions in Debian are not suitable for use in
production.

I'm going to guess that it was a series of 'btrfs balance' commands that
fixed things for you.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.