Re: A full /var partition destroyed 3 hours of my life!

[rsyslog maintainer speaking here]

Am 15.11.2016 um 06:00 schrieb Borden Rhodes:
> One of the culprits in my full /var partition was a 3 gig syslog file
> which has only been getting bigger since January despite running
> logrotate -f. I try to run it this time but I'm told that it can't

I'd be interested to find out, why logrotation was not done
automatically. Do you have cron installed and running?
Do you have  /etc/cron.daily/logrotate which works when executed and a
corresponding /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog?

Any idea why logrotate was not run or failed to do its job?

> My question, therefore, is whether this is a btrfs bug that got
> triggered by the full /var partition or whether Debian is designed to
> break irrecoverably when /var fills up. Any ideas of what happened?

That sounds like a btrfs issue. Which kernel is that?
I do remember btrfs having problems when the disk runs full.

universe are pointed away from Earth?