Re: Invoking ddrescue

Hi,

tomas wrote:
> his "big" disk
> (where the backup is going to) has already a file system and is mounted.

Meanwhile i began to doubt this. (Why would Richard need 5 lines ?)
So i tried to find a Debian tutorial for creating a new filesystem on
a previously unused partition. No luck.

So - for the records and for checking by others - old school would be to
do as superuser:

Check whether there is really no filesystem on /dev/sdb6 !

Only if not, create one by

  mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb6

Prepare the mount point

  mkdir /mnt/my_sdb6

Make it permanent by

  vi /etc/fstab

where you add this line

  /dev/sdb6       /mnt/my_sdb6    ext3    rw  0       0

Mount it for the first time

  mount /mnt/my_sdb6

End being superuser.

A german server provider proposes similar (omit the cfdisk run, because
your partition already exists):
  https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Hard_Disk_Formatting/Partitioning_and_Mounting_in_Debian_Linux

Have a nice day :)

Thomas