Re: Gparted will not label an existing FAT32 partition

On Fri 11 Nov 2016 at 20:53:17 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le primidi 21 brumaire, an CCXXV, David Wright a écrit :
> > Any reference. You see, I find label a very slippery word.
> > You can label a disk at almost every level: a sticky label,
>
> True, but not really relevant.
>
> > a disklabel (partition table),
>
> This is BSD slang. But this was what I was referring to.
>
> >				 a filesystem label,
>
> Indeed. That is the most common one.
>
> >						     a volume label
> > (perhaps those two are equivalent),
>
> I do not think "volume" means anything in the Linux world.
>
> >				      and whatever is handled by
> > devlabel (which might be historic).
>
> It looks like a tool to make symlinks based on the above labels.
>
> > So I'm unsure what you mean by a partition label, where it's
> > stored, and how it differs from a filesystem label.
>
> Well, the filesystem label is stored in the filesystem metadata, i.e.
> probably the superblock. The partition label is stored in the partitions
> metadata, i.e. the "partition table".
>
> > Is it new-fangled?
>
> MBR-style partition tables do not contain labels, if that is what you
> are asking. But GPT does.

May I say I appreciated the correction about labels being applied to
file systems and not partitions. I'd done a copy and paste (with a
change to a spelling) without any thought in mind to disabuse the OP
about the technical aspects. It seemed more important to get him on
the road.

But, this is getting interesting.

--
Brian.