Re: Problem attempting to use xorriso

On 11/10/2016 5:20 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 04:53:47AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 11/9/2016 5:16 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Sunday 06 November 2016 16:47:00 Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]
Based on responses to previous posts titled "Trivial script will
NOT execute" and "Permissions for an entire PARTITION" I have
multiple problems understanding Linux file systems generally.

I imagine you have seen this lot - especially the top three??
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=basic+debian+file+system&oq=basic+debian+file+system&aqs=chrome..69i57.7617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lisi

Yes, but not in the context of a sub-project from last few days.
I suspect what I aiming at might look like - the groups and
permission bits set at time partition created, thus avoiding games
with /etc/fstab .

richard@jessie-defaults:~$
richard@jessie-defaults:~$ ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  0 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root owl  8,  1 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda1
brw-rw-r-- 1 root owl  8,  2 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  3 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  5 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb
br--rw-r-- 1 root owl  8, 17 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb1

Note that with this setting, "you" can thrash whatever is in /dev/sda
through /dev/sdb (write access).

I don't understand.

Besides "everyone" can peek into /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb1.

That was intentional ;)
The project I have in mind is a very custom repository. The set of files on sda2 would be almost final versions for use on my local machine. The files on the flash drive would be final release for use on someone else's machine.

And by "you" I'm talking about any program running on your behalf,
i.e. an executable attachment to this mail which your mail reader
might let through, or a LaTeX class c&p'ed off the Interwebs.

This is not to scare you: just to help you tune your awareness
towards such things.

It doesn't "scare" me for a very good reason - the system in question has no network capability, let alone internet access. In fact the particular laptop had its disk wiped and a fresh install of Debian 3 times yesterday.

Also, as this is a publicly readable list, it is *EXTREMELY OK* to add warnings., I may be a raw newbie to Linux but have had much contact with "shoot self in foot" syndrome, both as subject and as rescuer ;/

Your response is encouraging, I am understanding more of how Debian reports information, even if I don't know how to put my system in the reported state.

Lets analyze the above *FICTITIOUS* system - "Am I interpreting each line correctly?"

I see no problem with the lines
   brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  0 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda
   brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb
They are copied from a standard install. /dev/sda is my internal hard disk and /dev/sdb is a USB flash drive. They are owned by "root" and accessible by members of "disk".

These lines should be harmless
   brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  3 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda3
   brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  5 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda5
as they are also from defaults ( sda3 has Debian and sda5 is swap)

Now for my strange lines.

brw-rw---- 1 root proj2 8, 1 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda1
My previous use of "owl" as a group designation may have confused things.
On my system I am "richard" who is a member of group "richard".
"owl" was chosen as a group designation to avoid any accidental name collision. In actual use there would likely be groups "proj1", "proj2", and "proj3" for separate projects. User "richard" would be a member of groups "richard" and "proj3" but not of "proj1" or "proj2".

I see no potential problem with this line. User "root" and members of "proj2" have read/write permissions. Execute permissions would be bogus as these partitions explicitly contain only data. No access for others.

As stated above sda2 is world readable as it contains a late pre-release copy of my custom repository.
brw-rw-r-- 1 root proj3 8, 2 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda2

Similarly for sdb1. Did not give "root" write permission as a precaution against accidental corruption as it is a removable drive which may be used anywhere. It is not intended to give protection from malicious changes.
br--rw-r-- 1 root proj3 8, 17 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb1

These indicate desired results. How much effort required to obtain ?????

Thank you for your time.

If retirement isn't for learning, what use is it.

:-)

regards

- -- tomás
    "I'm a signature virus. Go ahead and copy me into your signature"