Re: looking for a piece of software that will take an url (say to a blog post) and email me the contents

ok, thanks Davidson, very much.

this indeed works for me (opening an url in lynx, the 'p' to print,
then choose mail).

i guess the only wrinkle is that you have to do it on some host where
mail works.

and perhaps that's why browsers like firefox do not do this---i
suppose that often when you set up a computer at home, you won't
provision it to be able to send mail.  If this is really the case,
then it would be a support headache if people were always calling in
asking for help in setting up mail on their boxes.

anyhow, for my use case, which is to do this, but pretty infrequently,
your method is as good as i could reasonably hope for.

dan