Re: parted is ALMOST suitable

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 09:57:14AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> In any case, off-list someone suggested using
>    /sbin/blkid /dev/sda*
> That works. *BUT* I wonder about unknown implications of "/sbin"
> being required if not explicitly running as root.

It's simply because /sbin is not in your default PATH as a regular user.
Most of the commands in /sbin require root privileges to do their jobs,
but there are a few that don't, at least for certain limited parts of
their jobs.  (/sbin/ifconfig is probably the most famous.)

If you want to run this command without root privileges, you can add
/sbin to your PATH.  This is not a security problem.  It's just that most
regular users don't need these commands.  There is a minuscule decrease
in efficiency when another directory in PATH has to be searched, but
it's probably not going to be noticeable.