Re: parted is ALMOST suitable

On 11/7/2016 8:27 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 08:18:28AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
Evidently not a solution. Added myself to both "disk" and "root"
groups.
Had no effect when attempting to run either lsblk or parted.

Is there a reason you can't use sudo?

Not a matter of "need" but of "desire".

Sample output on my system at work:
[*SNIP*
You can even configure sudo not to prompt you for a password.
Certain operations on a Linux system simply require root privileges,
and your insistence on "not having to be root" is not rational.

Over the last three score years rationality not questioned, but
   Prof. A.  "This young man can be persistent."
   Prof. B.  "Yes", looong pause "about what he wants to be."
I was a youngster of 50 at the time.

This group has drummed into me that root privileges are not to be taken lightly. My innate sense of "how things SHOULD work" shouts there should be finer control.
In any case, off-list someone suggested using
   /sbin/blkid /dev/sda*
That works. *BUT* I wonder about unknown implications of "/sbin" being required if not explicitly running as root.