Re: Trivial script will NOT execute

On Fri 04 Nov 2016 at 20:37:53 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 11/4/2016 7:54 PM, John L. Ries wrote:
> >Any chance the current directory is not in your path?
> >

> That's not a mere 'scary' thought,
> it is a *TERRIFYING* thought :<

Steady on...

> "Why?" you may ask.
> " 'cause it implies an intrinsic failure of *nix documentation."

Or of someone to read it.

> What should I "be reading"/"have read" ?

man bash

(Put whatever shell you use.)

Anyone changing their $PATH should make themselves aware of the danger
of adding . explicitly, or even implicitly by, say, thinking that : is
a delimiter rather than a separator, or by screwing up a parameter
substitution and ending up with :: anywhere in the $PATH.

The current working directory is included here three times—at the
beginning, middle and end.

:/usr/bin::/bin:.

One other point. I see you use spaces in your filenames. Regardless of
this, you should quote your strings in such as FILENAME=$F$N$E

Cheers,
David.