Re: Trivial script will NOT execute

I actually found out about the path issue as a brand new UNIX user
(OSF/1, to be exact) in 1994 (I was a die hard DOS user before that).
To this day, I have "." in my path, but last and only on my personal
account (never as root).

--------------------------|
John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |
--------------------------|

On Friday 2016-11-04 19:37, Richard Owlett wrote:

>Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 19:37:53
>From: Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net>
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: Trivial script will NOT execute
>
> On 11/4/2016 7:54 PM, John L. Ries wrote:
>> Any chance the current directory is not in your path?
>>

> That's not a mere 'scary' thought,
> it is a *TERRIFYING* thought :<
>
> "Why?" you may ask.
> " 'cause it implies an intrinsic failure of *nix documentation."
>
> As a computer *USER* I predate CPM80.
> I've always assumed that 'cd xyz' implicitly implied that xyz now implicitly
> implied that {xyz} was not only the "Current Working Directory" but in default
> path.
>
> After my post, but before your reply, I had tried
>  echo $PATH
> result was not encouraging :<
>
> I now suspect not only "operator error" but "operator ignorance" ;<
> What should I "be reading"/"have read" ?
> TIA
>
> P.S. a few hours ago a similar script had executed as I naively expected ;/
>

>> On 11/4/16 6:51 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> Today I've been having weird problems executing scripts.
>>> As I have no valuable data on the partition containing Debian, I wiped
>>> it and did a fresh install of Debian Jessie (8.6.0) MATE desktop
>>> environment from a purchased set of DVDs. Earlier today I had had
>>> reason to create an *,iso of DVD1 of 13 using xorriso. The ISO had a
>>> MD5SUM matching the one at debian.org .
>>>
>>> More than a half-century of trouble shooting *screams* 'operator
>>> error' ;[
>>> But what????? [Caja reports the execute bit is set ;]
>>>
>>> Cut-n-paste from MATE terminal:
>>> root@full-jessier:~# #!/bin/bash -x
>>> root@full-jessier:~# cd /media/root/myrepo
>>> root@full-jessier:/media/root/myrepo# RCO
>>> bash: RCO: command not found
>>> root@full-jessier:/media/root/myrepo# ls
>>> lost+found  new file  RCO  x2  xtract2 (copy)
>>> root@full-jessier:/media/root/myrepo#
>>>

>>> The content of RCO [with Linux line endings] is:
>>>
>>> F='dvd8_'
>>> N=0