Re: How to get Claws Mail to download an over sized message

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your suggestions. In the meantime, I discovered a way to do what I wanted.
It's not a very elegant solution but workable. See below.

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 10:52:03 +0000
Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 17:27:48 -0500
>sunrise@mailbug.com wrote:
>
>Hello sunrise@mailbug.com,
>
>>So my question is: Is there any way to force Claws Mail to retrieve a
>>specific message that has not been completely downloaded? Or how does
>>the Claws Mail GUI normally mark a message for download when the
>>aforementioned button is clicked?
>
>The button you mentioned is the only way I know of to initiate a large
>message download.

The file ~/.claws-mail/uidl/ACCOUNT_NAME seems to contain a list of the messages on the
server in a format like this:

73201611040634573945	1478266525	0
73201611040655166135	1478266525	0
73201611040908557347	1478266525	0
73201611040941040644	1478268386	0

The last field usually contains a 0 or 1 (I'm assuming '0' might mean 'retrieved' and '1'
might mean 'not fully retrieved'). But if the 'Mark for Download' button is activated,
the entry for that message changes to something like:

73201611040941040644	1478268386	#mh/path/to/inbox:2180

where 2180 is the filename assigned by claws mail for that message. (I use maildir
format.) Knowing this, I can now manually edit the entry with the correct parameters and
claws mail retrieves the entire message without a hitch, at least it did for the one I
tried it on.

This would be somewhat awkward if I'd need to do it every day, but it works for getting
me out of an occasional pickle.

>You'll probably get a better response on the Claws Mail mailing list.
>users@lists.claws-mail.org
>They're likely to ask are whether this happens with only one mail
>provider (assuming you have more than one).  They'll also almost

Am using only one mail provider.

>certainly mention that v3.9 is quite old, and that an upgrade might be
>in order.  Not that that would help with this specific problem, AFAIAA.

Thanks again!
Jason