Re: new pc and swap

>>> I once read that it was possible to swap to a named file, rather
>>> than a swap partition.  Is that possible with Jessie?

Of course, it's possible.  But if you setup a system from scratch I'd
highly recommend you put "everything" into an LVM volume group so you
can then use an LVM volume for swap rather than a file (but with the
same advantages as using a file: it's easy to resize/create on-demand
at run-time).

        Stefan

PS: I put "everything" between quotes because I'm not sure I'd recommend
    to also put /boot in an LVM volume.  IIUC it can be made to work
    nowadays, but my systems still use a two-partition setup: one small
    partition for /boot, and the rest for LVM.