Re: new pc and swap

On 10/30/2016 9:15 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
Le nonidi 9 brumaire, an CCXXV, Richard Owlett a écrit :
I once read that it was possible to swap to a named file, rather than a swap
partition.
Is that possible with Jessie?

Please check: fallocate, mkswap, swapon, and tell us the result.

Regards,

As I don't have a functioning Debian system at the moment
    and
As https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi remains *DOWN* :{
I tried https://manned.org/pkg/debian-jessie as it _appeared_ to index all _current_ Debian manpages without success. There were no hits in https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=...
Fell back to the GENERIC https://manned.org/browse/search?q=...
That tells me swap files have existed in the past and they all effectively say "Beware. Here dragons have laird here." ;/

Does not answer the question I posed.
Markus' post indicates swap files may be unreliable for hibernation, my only likely use. I've seen posts on multiple fora suggesting hibernation is the only use that will absolutely require swap. That routine use does not tend to require swap.