Re: Increase font size of GRUB menu?

On 10/19/2016 11:17 AM, Brian wrote:
On Wed 19 Oct 2016 at 09:22:00 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

It's not _quite_ an 'XY Problem'. The OP hath declared. <grin>
It may be its first cousin. There is a not explicitly stated solution
constraint.
In my case I wish to use default resolution of current driver/monitor
combination.
I install to multiple machine/monitor permutations.

From

  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/gfxmode.html

    The default is ‘auto’, which selects a platform-specific
    default that should look reasonable.

I wonder if your "default" is the same as GRUB's "default". Also,
whatever default resolution you get will affect the perceived font
size, no matter what font face is used.

Interesting problem set. I've some glimmerings. Working on a 'formal' definition of the problem set.

My optimal solution will be of the form [*NOT* checked for syntax yet]
   grub-mkfont -o /boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2  -s MYSIZE
/path/to/Example.ttf

Do you really want to overwrite the system's unicode.pf2?

I my specific use case, I think so. It illustrates why I do not consider my original post to not quite be a 'XY Problem'. I'm working on optimizing Debian install to match some personal ideas on the optimal "look and feel" of a *nix system. Carried to its logical conclusion, what I'm working towards would be near dividing line between a "Debian Pure Blend" and a "Debian Derivative".