Re: ICMPv6 and the conntrack table

Hi,

Am 09.10.16 um 09:54 schrieb Pascal Hambourg:
> Le 08/10/2016 à 20:09, Florian Pelgrim a écrit :
>>
>> $ ip route get 2404:6800:400a:800::1012
>> 2404:6800:400a:800::1012 from :: via fe80::1 dev eth0  src
>> fe80::d481:11ff:feee:4908  metric 0
>
> This does not look like a correct setup to me, unless the router
> performs source NAT (yuck!). A link local source address cannot be used
> to send packets beyond the link.
It was autogenerated by Debian itself.
But I configured a statical public IPv6 address.

Fun fact is that my provider is really using fe80::1 as default gateway.
And I know a lot more who are using the same technic when dealing with
IPv6 for customers.

>> So why is conntrack ignoring my icmpv6 traffic?
>
> Conntrack does not ignore all ICMPv6 traffic. Only some ICMPv6 types are
> not tracked because they use multicast which is hard to track. Such
> types include part of the NDP protocol (neighbour discovery) : Neighbour
> Solicitation, Neighbour Advertisement, Router Solicitation, Router
> Advertisement, and a few others. They have the UNTRACKED state.
>
> Blocking NDP on a broadcast interface breaks IPv6 connectivity.
>
> Other usual ICMPv6 types such as Echo Request/Reply and error messages
> (Destination Unreachable, Packet Too Big, Parameter Problem...) are
> tracked as usual.
Ah, nice. Thanks. That explains a lot for me now. :)

Cheers
Flo