Re: From "physical install DVD's" to "special install USB flash drive" - HOW?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:33:32AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 10:22 AM, Brian wrote:
> >On Mon 17 Oct 2016 at 09:40:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>If some of this sounds familiar, I have asked related questions in the past.
> >>[I do have copies of previous posts&replies for reference.
> >>  I've re-read most but may have missed reading some due to how I sorted
> >>them.]
> >>I think I can give a better description of what I wish to accomplish.
> >>The laptop I used for previous experiment is now classed as unreliable,
> >>which may have been cause of some previous problems. I have a healthy
> >>desktop machine now.
> >>
> >>Due to limited bandwidth *EVERYTHING SHALL* be done from a physical set of
> >>purchased DVD's [Jessie 8.6].
> >>
> >>I explicitly want a flash drive that functions as an install medium.
> >>I DO NOT wish to install to the flash drive (one person called that 'Debian
> >>to Go']
> >>It shall be bootable
> >>It shall be able to install Debian on any machine which can boot from a USB
> >>device.
> >>It shall have a repository equivalent to the contents on all 13 DVD's.
> >>It shall have multiple multiple editable preseed.cfg files.
> >
> >   https://wiki.debian.org/Installation+Archive+USBStick
> >
> >looks to be right up your street and capable of adapting to your needs.
>
> I'd seen it and caused me to think what I wanted might be reasonable.
> I tried to follow it but got tangled up. Perhaps should try again after a
> good night's sleep.
>

> >>I envision a file structure of
> >>/dev/sdX
> >>	/alpha		optional partition for GRUB or LILO
> >>	/beta		bootable installer - essentially DVD 1 of 13
> >>	/gamma		repository - contents of DVD 2 -> DVD 13
> >>	/delta		collection of preseed.cfg files
> >
> >That too looks like it could be accomodated but the need to partition
> >isn't necessary.

Double layer Blu-Ray disk image. Use dd to write this to a single stick. That will give you virtually everything you need to install.

A second USB stick to hold preseed files and the .iso files for dlbd1 and dlbd 2 in case you really need it (chances are you won't - since the first DL-BD will be the first 10 DVDs in one directly bootable image)

One USB stick will be bootable and install almost all of Debian (50G or 10 or 11 DVDs). Otionally, you can use the second large stick and apt-cdrom add to add in any packages which aren't on the dl-bd image you use to install.

One 64G stick might hold both .iso files and any preseeds you write - so 2 x 64G sticks might work.

Hope this helps,

AndyC