Re: From "physical install DVD's" to "special install USB flash drive" - HOW?

On 10/17/2016 10:22 AM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 17 Oct 2016 at 09:40:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

If some of this sounds familiar, I have asked related questions in the past.
[I do have copies of previous posts&replies for reference.
  I've re-read most but may have missed reading some due to how I sorted
them.]
I think I can give a better description of what I wish to accomplish.
The laptop I used for previous experiment is now classed as unreliable,
which may have been cause of some previous problems. I have a healthy
desktop machine now.

Due to limited bandwidth *EVERYTHING SHALL* be done from a physical set of
purchased DVD's [Jessie 8.6].

I explicitly want a flash drive that functions as an install medium.
I DO NOT wish to install to the flash drive (one person called that 'Debian
to Go']
It shall be bootable
It shall be able to install Debian on any machine which can boot from a USB
device.
It shall have a repository equivalent to the contents on all 13 DVD's.
It shall have multiple multiple editable preseed.cfg files.

   https://wiki.debian.org/Installation+Archive+USBStick

looks to be right up your street and capable of adapting to your needs.

I'd seen it and caused me to think what I wanted might be reasonable.
I tried to follow it but got tangled up. Perhaps should try again after a good night's sleep.

I envision a file structure of
/dev/sdX
	/alpha		optional partition for GRUB or LILO
	/beta		bootable installer - essentially DVD 1 of 13
	/gamma		repository - contents of DVD 2 -> DVD 13
	/delta		collection of preseed.cfg files

That too looks like it could be accomodated but the need to partition
isn't necessary.