Re: New amd64 kernel in Debian x86 testing?

On 2016-10-12 10:45 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> AFAICT, the latest amd64 kernel in Debian x86 testing is still 3.16
>>> (i.e. the one from Debian stable).
>>> Any idea why there's no newer one?
>> Since linux 4.0, the -amd64 kernel flavor is no longer built on i386:
>
> Hmm... that's what I thought.
>
>> To install the -amd64 kernel via multiarch, run these commands:
>>
>> # dpkg --add-architecture amd64
>> # apt-get update
>> # apt-get install linux-image-amd64:amd64
>
> Thanks.  It's kind of silly to have to download the complete list of amd64
> packages, but I can live with it.

It certainly slows down apt operations somewhat, also all packages show up
twice in aptitude's TUI which is a bit annoying.

> And I guess I can --remove-architecture right after that so I don't keep
> downloading/updating the list of amd64 packages all the time.

No, dpkg refuses to remove an architecture as long as there are packages
of that architecture installed.  What you _can_ do, however, is to limit
the architecture list to i386 in sources.list(5), e.g.

deb [arch=i386] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main

Whether the bandwith save is worth the cost of not getting timely kernel
upgrades is debatable, of course.

Cheers,
       Sven