PROGRESS - was [Re: My bash script is missing something - what?]

On 10/10/2016 8:21 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 08:10:33AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/10/2016 8:00 AM, Robert Parker wrote:
you need to do:
./test.sh
instead.

That just fails differently by responding:

: No such file or directory

Carriage return.  Did you edit this script with a Microsoft Windows
program, perhaps?  The shebang line (#!/bin/bash) probably ends with
a carriage return + line feed, instead of just a line feed.

You were on the right track.
My editor was gedit under Squeeze.
*HOWEVER*, as my original was saved to a flash drive that I also use to transfer information to/from my Windows machines, I had saved with Windows' line endings ;/

It now, like the proverbial child, it does what I _told_ it to do but not quite what I _wanted_ it to do.

1. What Debian oriented Bash Tutorial should I be reading?
2. What is a clean/neat/??? way to double-click on the file name and have it:
     open a terminal window [currently it prompts rather than do]
     run the script
     have window remain open until explicitly dismissed
[I approximate the last with a "read trashvariable" as last line.] 3. As written each line appears in the window followed by response on the next line.
  Inelegant ;<

Thanks for all the responses.