Re: Strange Gnome-terminal behaviour

On 2016-10-07, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 08:52:41PM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:

>> > Also I just ran mutt in an X terminal instead by invoking xterm from
>> > Gnome-Terminal, and although the font is horrible and the window is too
>> > small, it does NOT display the same psychotic intermittent scrolling
>> > behaviour.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> FWIW, you can tell xterm to use freetype fonts, e.g.,
>>
>> 	xterm -fa "Monospace 12"
>>
>> Alternatively, use the faceName resource in your ~/.Xresources file.
>>

> Monospace 12 doesn't seem to exist on my system.

"Monospace" is likely to be an alias. Use the command 'fc-match
Monospace' to find out what real font is subsituted.

> In fact I haven't found
> what fonts I can use -- anything at all I put after xterm -fa results in
> the same thing -- an entirely usable, if a little bit large, xterm
> window with standard 80x24, which bahaves perfectly from the point of
> view of my original post.
>
> As an example I am writing this mail in Mutt on such an xterm launched with :
>
> xterm -fa bollocks

Run 'fc-match bollocks' or 'fc-match "utter bollocks"'. :) In both cases
you'll get the system-wide fallback font, which is DejaVuSans.ttf in my
case.

> How can I find what fonts I can actually use and what xterm calls them?

The command fc-list will give you a list of fonts known to fontconfig.
By default, only truetype fonts are considered.

> Also I have no .Xresources file, is that normal?

As others have pointed out, yes.

--

Liam