Re: Strange Gnome-terminal behaviour

On Fri 07 Oct 2016 at 21:47:37 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 08:52:41PM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, you can tell xterm to use freetype fonts, e.g.,
> >
> > 	xterm -fa "Monospace 12"
> >
> > Alternatively, use the faceName resource in your ~/.Xresources file.
>
> Monospace 12 doesn't seem to exist on my system. In fact I haven't found
> what fonts I can use -- anything at all I put after xterm -fa results in
> the same thing -- an entirely usable, if a little bit large, xterm
> window with standard 80x24, which bahaves perfectly from the point of
> view of my original post.

'xterm -fa "Monospace 12' might be better as

  xterm -fa "Monospace" -fs 12

> As an example I am writing this mail in Mutt on such an xterm launched with :
>
> xterm -fa bollocks
>
> How can I find what fonts I can actually use and what xterm calls them?

Any TrueType font. Examples:

  xterm -fa "freesans" -fs 16
  xterm -fa "droidsansmono" -fs 16
  xterm -fa "dejavuserifcondensed" -fs 16

See /usr/share/fonts for what you have.

> Also I have no .Xresources file, is that normal?

Perfectly normal. You have to create and populate it. Correctly done you
can be confident it will work.

--
Brian.