Re: Cannot apt-add repository

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:46:08AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 12:26:46AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >ask the Universal Debian Database whether it's known to be impossible to
> > >do so.
> >
> > Ok, I'll bite. What is "the Universal Debian Database?"
>
> I find it hard to beleive myself, but here it is:
>
> http://udd.debian.org

Oh, sorry.  "Ultimate" not "Universal".

In addition to the web page, and the PostgreSQL interface described on
https://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase , there is an IRC chat
bot ("judd") who can query it for you, at least on the Freenode network
(I don't know about OFTC).

-> /msg judd checkbackport git
<- Backporting package git in sid->jessie/amd64: all build-dependencies satisfied using jessie, virtual.

Sometimes judd's "checkbackport" reports "all satisfied" and it
still doesn't work because of undeclared dependencies (like needing
a post-stable "dpkg" package during the build), but it's the best
test I know of besides actually trying to backport it.