Re: New install Jesse 8.6.0...grub2 problem

Mark Neidorff composed on 2016-10-06 13:22 (UTC-0400):

I'm building a server PC to perform backups of the PCs on my local network.
The server has 2 HDDs--750 Gb and 2 Tb.  The intention is to use the 750 Gb
drive for the OS and the 2 Tb drive for the backup data. I'll get there in
stages.  I'll be using backuppc to do the actual backups.

I tried using a different distro--OpenSUSE and it didn't work out.  I installed
the distro on the 750 Gb drive (and it boots via grub2 from the 750 Gb drive),
but couldn't get backuppc working.  I didn't want to just wipe out the
OpenSUSE installation, so I carved a partition out on the 2Tb data drive and
installed debian there.

The install went fine, up to installing grub2.  The installer didn't find grub2
on the 750Gb drive, and it reported no other OS detected.  I then selected the
2 Tb drive as the boot drive and it errored out when I asked to install grub2
on the 2 Tb drive.  So, I installed grub2 on the 750 Gb drive.

My problem is that when I boot the machine, it boots into OpenSUSE, and
doesn't give me a menu to choose from.

Because when it was installed there was no other OS, so it defaulted to the only one, without any timeout or need for a menu.

I don't know how to proceed from here.

My question(s):
Is there more information that you need to help me?

No Linux distro needs more than a tiny fraction of a 750G HD. Once booted into Jessie you can shrink the openSUSE installation to a more reasonable size, leaving yourself room for at least a dozen other distros in multiboot on your 750G. Multiboot also offers the opportunity to perform repairs without any rescue media, and test new and/or beta distros without disturbing whatever you run normally. The main thing to remember about installing multiboot is to let at the very most only one distro to put Grub on the MBR. Otherwise, last installed or updated will always overwrite the previous, potentially causing no booting at all, similar to what you have now.

cf. http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html

How do I go about fixing this boot problem so that I can boot into Debian?

If openSUSE is booting into the GUI, login and use YaST2 to configure the bootloader to find and add Jessie to its menu and make it the default boot selection. You can change the timeout value to anything you wish.

If all you get is a login prompt, login as root and run os-prober.

see also https://en.opensuse.org/GRUB

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/