Re: aptitude cli options vs. apt-get (esp. --ignore-hold option)

Hi,

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:35:58 +0200
Jörg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de> wrote:

> Your aptitude variant will also list new packages to be installed
> (e.g., a package with a version number in its name like libperl5.24).

Yes, that is in fact the point here. This is the same as for the
corresponding apt-get command. If the user does not want to see new
packages, they will be removed again from the list in the next step. It
also shows packages which will be removed during an upgrade, which might
also be of interest, although currently my code does not collect this
information.

> Otherwise you could try a search pattern of aptitude. This ability of
> aptitude is one of the advantages of aptitude IMO.
>
> Wouldn't
>
>   PKGNAMES=$(aptitude -F '%p' --allow-untrusted search '~U' | sort)
>
> just do what you want? Also, it seems to be faster.

Yes, if only upgrades for already installed packages should be displayed
this is certainly better. It looks like this doesn't even need the sort,
and probably the --allow-untrusted isn't necessary either (I don't have
any untrusted mirrors in my sources.list to verify this, though). At
least updates for "holds" are shown this way.

Regards

Michael

	"The release of emotion is what keeps us health.  Emotionally
healthy." "That may be, Doctor.  However, I have noted that the healthy
release of emotion is frequently unhealthy for those closest to you."
		-- McCoy and Spock, "Plato's Stepchildren", stardate
5784.3