Re: aptitude cli options vs. apt-get (esp. --ignore-hold option)

Michael Lange wrote on 10/05/16 11:19:
> Hello,
>
> I use the following line (borrowed from apticron) in a script to generate
> a list of upgradable packages:
>
> PKGNAMES=`apt-get -q -y -s --ignore-hold --allow-unauthenticated dist-upgrade | \
>           /bin/grep ^Inst | /usr/bin/cut -d\  -f2 | /usr/bin/sort`
>
> Now I would like to do the same with aptitude, so the user may pick which
> program they prefer to install the available updates.
> The aptitude equivalent I have come up with so far is:
>
> PKGNAMES=`aptitude -v -y -s --allow-untrusted full-upgrade | \
>           /bin/grep ^Inst | /usr/bin/cut -d\  -f2 | /usr/bin/sort`
>
> I figure that probably --allow-untrusted does the same for aptitude as
> --allow-unauthenticated does for apt-get (?) , however from man aptitude I
> cannot see anything like apt-get's --ignore-hold option.
>
> So my question is: is there a way to include updates to packages put on
> hold to the output of "aptitude full-upgrade" as in apt-get, that I have
> been missing, or is this simply not possible?

Your aptitude variant will also list new packages to be installed (e.g., a
package with a version number in its name like libperl5.24).

Otherwise you could try a search pattern of aptitude. This ability of aptitude
is one of the advantages of aptitude IMO.

Wouldn't

  PKGNAMES=$(aptitude -F '%p' --allow-untrusted search '~U' | sort)

just do what you want? Also, it seems to be faster.

Regards,
jvp.