Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On Sat 01 Oct 2016 at 11:06:07 +0200, mo wrote:

> First of all:
> Thank you Liam for your help! :)
> Thanks for the very nice and long explanation Mark! :)
>
> I think i should elaborate a little more on my setup.. i guess i did not
> make that very clear in the first place, sorry about that.
>
> My network is consisting of the following systems:
>
> Main PC - 192.168.23.11  (Running Debian Jessie)
> Server  - 192.168.23.200 (Running Debian Jessie)
>
> The server is always online, the PC is only half of the day on.
>
> What i want to do now is the following:
>
> Sending mail from my Main PC to my Server and also the other way around,
> from the Server to my Main PC.
> The Server should also be able to send mail to the "outside" (Meaning to
> other SMTP servers).
> The second requirement is optional since i dont own a domain and all this is
> sitting locally at my home. The most important thing for me is to send and
> receive mail from both systems in my home network.
> I hope this made my problem a little clearer :)
>
> I'm a little ashamed to say that, but i could not totally follow your
> explanations Mark... I'm quite a newbie when it comes to SMTP.. sorry :(

Assuming the server hostname is "server".

1. On Main PC use your editor to create /etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts. In it
   put

   server: 192.168.23.200

   in it and restart exim4.

2. Send mail to user@server.

3. You can replace 'server: 192.168.23.200' with 'server: server.local'
   if avahi-daemon is running on both machines.

--
Brian.