Re: How to get an older emacs on Jessie

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 01:28:59PM -0400, Marc Auslander wrote:
> I'm running Jessie with the standard repositories and emacs from 21 on
> are available.  Have you looked?

I see emacs24 and xemacs21 in jessie.  Nothing in between.  I don't
fully understand the differences between emacs and xemacs; I am not
an emacs user, but I seem to recall that xemacs is a forked project,
and may or may not be suitable for the OP's goals.

Whenever I don't find the pacakge I want in Debian's repository, I
typically grab the upstream source code and build it myself.  This
is usually much simpler than trying to work out how to deceive the
package manager in the least damaging way.