gdm3 runs, gnome-shell failed to start?

Hey folks,

I am on a fully-updated Stretch system, on a Thinkpad W520, which worked like a charm till this morning.

When booting this morning, gdm3 came up great, but after logging in, gnome-shell failed to launch and defaulted to the x server -- i.e, I do see all my login programs (emacs, firefox and the terminal), but no gnome shell.

What gives?  Resintalling gnome failed to remedy the situation, as did dist-upgrading to Sid (so, any suggestions to reinstall stuff should be made relative to Sid -- after we figure this out I'll point my sources to Sretch and wait).....

I suspect an X problem; logging in to gnome via a wayland session seems to work.

Cheers!

--
Boyan Penkov