Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On 2016-09-22, Dominic Knight <dominicknight@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 16:19 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> I've edited https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM and written
>> https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession from scratch.  I hope this helps
>> other
>> people who were as lost and confused as I was.
>>
>> If you're still wondering what kind of documentation I was looking
>> for,
>> you may use https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession as the answer.  That's
>> what I wanted to see.  I will be able to point users to this page in
>> the future.
>>
>> Thanks to all who provided information.
>
> There also used to be .Xresources to store information on fonts,
> colours, window sizes and positions along with dpi, this I believe
> was/is read by .Xsession. Unsure whether it is still used and/or
> relevant?

Nicolas Georges gave some interesting information once when I said that
.Xdefaults was "deprecated" concerning what is read by what where and
why (went over my head, of course).

Here it is:

Well, I was gonna give the link but it's short enough to quote:

(responding to my claim that .Xdefaults is deprecated)

 It is a bit more complicated than that.

 ~/.Xresources is loaded into the resources database of the X11 server by
 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources. The resource database is a
 property of the root window, you can observe it roughly with "xprop -root",
 see the RESOURCE_MANAGER entry; "xrdb -query" is the dedicated tool to
 observe it.

 ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xdefaults-$HOSTNAME are read by the X11 libraries
 directly.

 It makes a big difference for remote applications, since they will see the
 .Xresources from the server but the .Xdefaults from the client.

--
“It is enough that the arrows fit exactly in the wounds that they have made.”
Franz Kafka