Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Thu 22 Sep 2016 at 09:11:53 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:19:11PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > I'm not a DE or DM user, so I'm know very little about them.
>
> Yes, THIS is the problem!  You, and I, and everyone else on the guru side
> are just completely stumped.

No, the problem is you snipped most of what David Wright said and the
essence of his point as I (a non-guru) understood it was lost. So, here
it is again:

 > I'm not a DE or DM user, so I'm know very little about them. But I
 > don't understand the concept of "user configuration" for a DM.
 > Wouldn't that be like a user configuring /etc/issue, the login prompt
 > or /etc/motd ?

Logging in on a terminal involves a getty and login prompt. This is not
user configurable. You fit in with what is offered or you do not get to
log in. It doesn't matter if you have a deep understanding of the
process or not.

A DM offers the same options of username and password. A user cannot
configure that offering in any other way. What's the difference?

You might have a legitimate complaint about a DM's documentation but
that is a different issue which can be rectified with co-operation
between DM developers and users.

--
Brian.