Re: Need a tutorial

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:30:10PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 September 2016 11:16:45 Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > Others have explained how to generate keys. Then you can simplify the
> > process by setting up your ~/.ssh/config file with something like:
> >
> Interesting, I don't have that file, its all in /etc/ssh.

Create it if it doesn't exist.  Create the ~/.ssh/ directory first, if
that doesn't exist either.

> > Host shop lathe GO704
> >  user gene
> >  # private key file
> >  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/my_key_for_sshfs
> >
> > If you want to use different keys for the several hosts, you will have
> > to duplicate the config snippet shown above.

More generally, ~/.ssh/config (which does not exist by default but which
can be created) is the user-level configuration for the ssh client
program.  The system-level defaults are in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

Also, as long as you're messing with ~/.ssh/config you might want to
set up a keepalive in case you ever communicate through a NAT router.

ServerAliveInterval 300

will send a packet every 300 seconds, which (hopefully) prevents a NAT
router from timing out your idle sessions.

(Yeah, I know, it says "Server" but it's a client-side config option.
I didn't choose the name.)

> > If you're not sure of the syntax of ssh config file, you can use
> > 'cme edit ssh' to perform this task.
>
> cme=command not found.

I know nothing about this "cme" either.