Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:11:53AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> Don't believe me?  I know none of us has lightdm installed, so here is
> a man page, allegedly from Debian wheezy:
>
> http://www.unix.com/man-page/debian/1/lightdm/
>
> It takes several tries for me even to find *that*, probably because the
> manual is so ashamed of itself that it runs and hides when the Google
> crawler approaches.  Behold this glorious tome of wisdom:
>
> NAME
>        lightdm - a display manager
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        lightdm [ OPTION ]
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        lightdm is a display manager.
>
> That's it!  That is the *entire documentation*, apart from a list of
> options (none of which can be modified by an end user, of course),
> and then a list of three configuration files:
>
> FILES
>        /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>               Configuration
>
>        /etc/lightdm/users.conf
>               User list configuration (if not using Accounts Service)
>
>        /etc/lightdm/keys.conf
>               XDMCP keys
>
> This is what we're dealing with.  "lightdm is a display manager."
> What does that MEAN?  What does it DO?  People type their passwords into
> this thing, and *this* is its official user manual?  Is this a *joke*?
> What happens AFTER you type your username and password?  What files does
> it read AFTER the password, not before!  Who CARES what it does before!
> What PROCESSES does it execute?  When does it switch effective UID from
> root to user?

To be fair, the display manager just hands the ball to the X session
management (which makes sense, because then you can keep your session
setup when changing the DM and remember: in the good ol' times DM
and X proper didn't have to run on the same box). Here's one of those
typical Xsession files (I hacked it to give me, as a user, the power
to configure my environment):

  tomas@rasputin:~$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80x11xmodmap
  # 2015-01-10 tomas: why did they steal my xmodmap?
  # Snarfed from <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=77008>

  # This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

  SYSMODMAP="/etc/X11/Xmodmap"
  USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"

  if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
      if [ -f "$SYSMODMAP" ]; then
          xmodmap "$SYSMODMAP"
      fi

      if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
          xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
      fi
  fi

That's the typical way such things are set up. Then I, as user can edit
my ~/.Xmodmap. Similar things can be done for the environment, for the
SSH agent, and so on.

I'm pretty sure that those things still work with more modern desktop
environments (though I'm happy I haven't to cope with them).

regards
- -- tomás