Re: Need a tutorial

On 09/22/2016 02:09 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 September 2016 03:44:28 Lars Noodén wrote:
>> As far as the key choices go, DSA is considered deprecated, at least
>> in the more recent versions:
>>
>> 	"Support for ssh-dss, ssh-dss-cert-* host and user keys
>> 	will be run-time disabled by default"
>> 	 - http://www.openssh.com/txt/release-6.9
>>
>> So that leaves RSA if you have old versions of the OpenSSH server to
>> deal with.  Probably 2048 bits or more is good for a while.
>> Otherwise, consider Ed25519.
>>
> This I am not familiar with. Is there an explanatory url?

Well, it was officially turned off in 7.0, just like warned above:

http://www.openssh.com/txt/release-7.0

and there was a bit of discussion around the net like this one:

http://meyering.net/nuke-your-DSA-keys/

But as far as explanations go, that's like the others I've seen to phase
out any remaining DSA use due to weaknesses.  The articles I've seen are
either cryptographer level (and thus beyond me) or very generic, but the
there are multiple problems with DSA at this point.

Ed25519 claims these benefits:

https://ed25519.cr.yp.to/

OpenSSH 6.5 or later will support it.  Wheezy had 6.0 (but 6.6 is in the
backports), and Jessia has 6.7, and Stretch is getting 7.3.  The release
notes for 6.5 just mention that it is "better" for security and
performance.

Regards,
Lars