Re: cant get to desktop anymore

On Mon, 2016-09-19 at 17:01 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/18/2016 09:42 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

> > > If the OP would do that, login as his user and enter "startx", I
> > > bet a
> > > donut that he gets to his desktop. Mine is STILL boroken that way
> > > ...POS. synaptic isn't fixed yet. <sighs> Someone just shoot me.
> > > Ric
> > >

> >   I'll shoot you if you promise to return the favor :) The whole
> > Mate
> > desktop is broken because of GTK 3.2whatever :)
>
> I promise. The only upside is that all those Ubuntu users will be
> soon
> crying like grandmothers. That is a sad way to think. <evil cackles>
> Ric

I can re-create this in some way although maybe not the same as the OP
as not enough information is given.

Normally when installing a secondary system on the box here, it would
format the swap space giving it a new UUID, I would get the prompt when
starting up about not being able to load the swap space, wait 90 secs
then boot without one and edit fstab to reflect the new UUID.
However, when not using nouveau drivers (in my case Nvidias latest
361.45.18-2 kernel modules) if the wrong UUID is present you will be
given a black screen and no possibility of using ctrl-alt-f1 > 7 only
command that works is ctrl-alt-del. Also recovery mode dumps you to the
exact same problem - plain black screen.
Edit the fstab from another system and you are back to having a normal
log-in.