Re: Sound on Jessie

On Sun 18 Sep 2016 at 12:55:13 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2016 11:13:03 Brian wrote:
> > > Lisi Reisz composed on 2016-09-17 11:56 (UTC+0100):

> > > I sense Alan expects everyone here has read and remembers every post he
> > > has written. He told us his, though indirectly:
> > >
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/09/msg00296.html
> > >
> > > Synopsis:
> > > Wheezy was on old puter, with mature hardware supported by FOSS.
> > > Jessie is on new (unspecified model) Dell (with Win10), with unknown
> > > hardware with unknown FOSS support.
> >
> > Contrasting the behaviour of machine A with machine B (worked on my old
> > machine, works fine with Windows etc) and indulging in nostalgia is only
> > of passing interest when the objective is to get an aspect of machine A
> > to function. If is like telling a doctor you ran a marathon every week
> > twenty years ago when the present issue is having two broken legs.
>
> Yes.  Someone had referred to upgrading and I mistakenly followed it.  My
> memory isn't up to yours or his.  Mea culpa.  I have elsewhere asked whether
> the chip was a Skylake.  That can cause problems with Jessie (sound was one
> of them).  Been there.  Done that.  Got the very bloody tee-shirt.  I did,

I don't believe we know the make and model (Dell?) being used; it could
be a factor in forming a solution. Who knows? (Rhetorical, we all know
who knows). Add it to to the list of hoarded useful information.

I recollect your tussle with a Skylake machine. You were your usual
informative self and co-operated with the troubleshooting process; wear
the tee-shirt with pride. :) We have more tee-shirts to hand out but
a quality claimant in this thread looks less and less likely.

> elsewhere in the thread, ask why he didn't use something other than Jessie,
> which might suit better.  I was actually thinking of Stretch or Mint.  (I
> woudl use Stretch. ;-)  )  But any more modern distro might get on better
> with what may be very modern (certainly fairly recent) hardware.

Jessie isn't that old (2015) but things do move on, so when there a
hardware problem (and we do not know that in this case) stable/testing
is a good jumping off point.

> (Why didn't I use Stretch, instead of Skylake with Jessie?  It wasn't my
> computer, and would have involved using either another DE or not-yet-ready
> software.)

Lucky you, being able to play with machines of others. I only have the
opportunity to muck up my own.

--
Brian.