Re: xaralx package

On 15 September 2016 at 16:48, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
Hi,

Michael Fothergill wrote:
> $ file xaralx
> xaralx: ELF 32-bit ... dynamically linked ... for GNU/Linux 2.2.5,

That's really old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Timeline

> $ ldd xaralx
> not a dynamic executable

Probably just too old dynamics to be recognizable nowadays.

​Many thanks to everyone who has helped here...​

​The download page says that the binary should run on a 64 bit machine in what it calls compatability mode.

If I would want to run it natively in 64 bit mode I would have to compile it.

But maybe it is so old that it would not be a good idea..........

The command sytax for ldd is ok. A freshly compiled binary of mine
nicely reports its dynamic libraries when inquired that way.

​Did you compile it natively in 64 bit?​

(hopping back in thread)
> /home/mikef/Documents/xaralx/bin/xaralx (No such file or directory)

This did not happen to me since about 1999. Iirc the error message shall
tell that the binary cannot find one or more of its dynamic libraries.
Back then it was an indication that the binary needed to be freshly
compiled from source.

​This makes sense.....​

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

I would be glad if my expectation would be disappointed that the
32 bit libraries are much too young for the medieval binary.

​So would Charles Babbage I guess....

Regards and thanks

Michael Fothergill