Odd issues with Stretch installation

Hi! Not sure how best to report this, as I have no idea what Debian
package (if any?) handles the installer.

In trying to test an Xfce patch, I spun up a virtual machine (using
VirtualBox under my main Debian Stretch installation, though I doubt
that makes any difference). The virtual hard disk I assigned it is 8GB
total in size, and I gave it 4GB of RAM.

Two problems:

1) The default settings gave 4GB to the root partition and 4GB to the
swapper. Probably a poor choice, but not overly serious except for...
2) ... the installer running out of disk space is not, apparently, an
error. I had no idea whatsoever that there had been any installation
difficulties.

The first sign of failure was that, after installation, the GUI didn't
load properly - just a black screen with a mouse cursor. In trying to
track down the failure, I found the disk to be full, so I didn't
bother analyzing it any further.

Unfortunately, I'm still having trouble after reallocating it (6GB
root, rest to swap) - so it's some other problem. How should I go
about tracking it down?

Chris Angelico