Re: icedove: failed to connect server XXX@gmail.com

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 23:38:56 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS I have been trying to help mudongliang, unsuccessfully.  But thereby hangs
> another thread.  Please someone else, his question has still not been
> answered.  Are all attempts to answer it being spam-checked out of
> existence??

[I trust this will appear in the desired thread; I changed the subject back....]

A few things I can think of (which generally reflect your suggestions):
  - username changed in settings or at gmail
  - password changed in settings or at gmail
  - port changed in settings or at gmail (between encrypted and non-encrypted, for example)
  - DNS problems
  - SSL versus startTLS
  - change between IMAP and POP3
  - firewall blockage (but not *too* likely, since other servers can be accessed)
  - encryption schemes that are no longer valid (like SSL2 or SSL3 but, again, not *too* likely*)

P.S. Related to another thread (about email programs), another shortcoming of Claws Mail is that there's no way to see/edit *all* a reply's headers; otherwise, I would've adjusted this message's Message-id header to match that of the O.P.'s message and make this reply appear in the right place in the thread. I don't have the original message to reply to.