Re: Defining TAP interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:14:15 +0100
Andrew Wood <andrewjameswood@ymail.com> wrote:

>Im (slowly) trying to setup bridging and TAP interfaces to use with QEMU
>so each VM can have a 'real' IP on the network rather than NAT.
>

>I now have a bridge setup (br1) using eth1 which Ive done in
>/etc/network/interfaces with:
>
>auto eth1
>auto br1
>iface br1 inet dhcp
>         bridge_ports eth1
>         bridge_stp off
>         bridge_fd 0
>         bridge_maxwait 0
>

>However I cannot work out how to add TAP interfaces to this bridge using
>that file. Currently I have to do it with the tunctl & brctl commands in
>a separate script.
>

>It is possible to do it in /etc/network/interfaces ?
>
>Thanks
>Andrew

Change the bridge_ports to:
	bridge_ports eth1 tap0

then add the tap lines:
        auto tap0
             iface tap0 inet static
             address 192.168.??.?
             netmask 255.255.255.0
             tunctl_user vboxusers

Change these as needed for your own setup. This works for me using
virtual box.

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914