Re: Using the result of equivs (dummy package for dependencies)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 at 00:25, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 2016-09-11 at 11:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> So I've used the equivs-control and equivs-build commands from the
> equivs package to create a dummy package which has all the needed
> dependencies. My problem is I can't do anything with the created
> package -- I obviously can't dpkg -i it because dpkg just complains
> about the missing dependencies -- which was the point of creating the
> dummy package in the first place!
>
> Is there a way I can get aptitude to add this package to its
> knowledge base, and then let me install it as if it came from a
> debian repository?

You almost certainly want one or more of dpkg's '--force' options.

As a first attempt, try 'dpkg -i pkgname.deb --force-depends', or
similar. If that doesn't work, look through that section of the man page
and see what else you may find.

After it's installed, 'apt-get -f install' (or a comparable aptitude
command) should get you the missing dependencies, as intended.

--
   The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw

This worked, thanks!

dpkg --force-depends -i dangerdeep.deb

Followed by aptitude install dangerdeep

Then I was able to build Danger From The Deep, and in sharp contrast to last time it worked first time!

And all the dependent libraries know they are only there because of that dangerdeep package, as I wanted.

Mark