Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2016 11:33:46 PM
Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time

Alan McConnell composed on 2016-09-10 17:45 (UTC-0400):

> Good grief.  I just wrote that I am now logged in to a working jessie.
> So I can run any kind of apt-get, aptitude, etc.

> So I repeat:  apt-cache search grub gives me lots of grub files to install.
> Do I want to install a different grub?

> Possibly, though not likely. What does 'dpkg -l | grep grub' show now?
        I have grub 2.0.2

        What works for me now is the following:  If I do nothing, I boot directly
        into Jessie.  However, if I wish to boot into Windoze, which is what I'll do
        a lot for now, since I haven't even got an X11 system running on my Jessie,
        I press and hold F12, to get into the choose boot method pre-OS screen.
        There I choose Windows boot manager(recall that this is a new machine, a
        generic Dell, so OF COURSE it had Windows installed.  And after choosing
        this, of course what I get is a nice boot into Windoze.

Before leaving this topic, I have a remark:  I have been telling interested and
non-interested people for years that one doesn't have to completely abandon one's
long-held Windoze habit, one can install Linux as a second OS and play with both
until Linux has "sold itself".  I shudder to think of someone taking my advice,
following all the instructions, and winding up with a system where only Linux
is available.  Imagine being taken out of one's English-speaking world and dumped
into a village in Uzbekistan!

Fortunately I live in a facility where there is a "computer lab" to which I have
access.  And I was able to go there, use their Chrome browser to get to my his.com
E-mail facility, whine to you folks, and blunder my way through to a solution.
Other people won't have that good fortune.

Addendum:  during my Jessie install, the install program commented at one point:
"There doesn't seem to be any other OS on your system".  Jeez!!  I hope some
maintainer reads this complaint and Debian  works hard to make sure that the
operation of installing a second OS(Linux) on a Windoze box is as easy and
error-proof as it is possible to make it.

Best wishes, and thanks to all the kind responders who helped me.

Alan McConnell