Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 11:13:45 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> Addendum:  during my Jessie install, the install program commented at one point:
> "There doesn't seem to be any other OS on your system".  Jeez!!  I hope some
> maintainer reads this complaint and Debian  works hard to make sure that the

What is the exact name and version of this OS which is not found?

> operation of installing a second OS(Linux) on a Windoze box is as easy and
> error-proof as it is possible to make it.

1. As a user do

     dpkg -l | grep grub

   Please post the output of this command.

2. Suppose there are four packages listed. As root do

     apt-get --reinstall install <package_name>

   for each package

   <package_name> is in the second column of the 'dpkg -l' output.

   So, for example

     apt-get --reinstall install grub-common
     apt-get --reinstall install grub-pc
     apt-get --reinstall install grub-pc-bin
     apt-get --reinstall install grub2-common

   is what I would do on my machine. For the grub-pc reinstall please post
   the lines which begin "Found ....." in the output.

3. As root run the command

     os-prober

   and post its output.

--