SSH Connection Behind A Router/Firewall

I have a very straightforward Debian Jessie machine on my network. For SSH it uses the standard/default Port 22 and accessing it via ssh works just fine from anywhere on the local network.

I also have a NetGear router configured so that a connection from the outside world using Port 1024 gets forwarded to the local IP and Port 22 on the LAN. My problem is when I attempt a connection from the outside world the connection is refused.

Is there another setting on the Debian Jessie system I need to configure or do you believe this is a router configuration problem? If I just allow the forwarding (externally) to forward on Port 22 things work as expected.

Thanks,

Tim