[resolved] FireFox broken,

On 09/07/2016 05:23 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 07 September 2016 16:43:40 Mark Allums wrote:

On 09/07/2016 03:01 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 07/09/16 03:03 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 09/07/2016 01:39 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Online business seems to have hit a roadblock.

Is there anything I can change in the about:config that will allow
the "next" button to work on the https paypal pages?

I have even tried it a couple time after restarting in the safe
mode, with all plugins disabled.  Dead in water, not a single
packet seems to be issued when, after entering the paypal address
of the recipient, I click on the Next button adjacent to the
right.

FWIW, the old, hasn't ever been updated google chromium also
behaves the same, when I can get it to login, which is about 10%
of the time.  After rebooting, it will not login at all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Firefox is definitely broken.  I can't view YouTube videos or visit
many common web sites.  I get a security warning.  I blame a crypto
update for this, as well as a Firefox update.

Mark Allums

I think your problem is that Debian doesn't install a Flash viewer
by default. This leads to sites that check for such things to report
that your browser doesn't have one.  Read
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993902/browsers/how-to-get-the-lates
t-version-of-flash-on-firefox-for-linux-after-adobes-abandonment.html
for how to get around this.

In case everybody missed it, adobe is back to supporting linux, and that
notice included a link, but when I clicked on the link, it offered me
the 4 year old flash.  Since some movies do play, I declined. ISTR the
notice was on /. a day or so back.

No, I have installed Flash, and I keep it up to date.  My problem is
not YouTube, that was just an example.  I get error messages telling
me that the web sites are not secure, coincidentally after updating
crypto packages and Firefox.  I don't believe that YouTube is
insecure, hence the problem.  Not sending money through PayPal could
be a crypto problem, too.

Mark Allums

Maybe this is related to libns3 that someone mention, but we have to get
it from unstable? On wheezy, how?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Installing libnss3 from sid/unstable solved the problem of web sites unavailable with a security-related error message for me.

Enable Jessie, stretch, and/or Sid on your system by putting the appropriate line in your /etc/apt/sources.list, such as:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

and do apt-get update

(Remove the line -- or comment it out -- after you are satisfied you are done. Otherwise, all your updates will come from Sid--probably not what you want.)

Mark Allums