Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Wed 31 Aug 2016 at 10:54:53 +0200, claude juif wrote:

> > Le 31 août 2016 9:48 AM, "Joe" <joe@jretrading.com> a écrit :
> >
> > Email is still a useful messaging protocol, it is somewhat broken, but
> > the cure absolutely must not be worse than the disease, or we'll all
> > end up using Facebook.

> Come on guys, the OP ask about instant messaging and mail is everything
> except instant messaging.

With two machines running mail servers (no smarthosts or any of that
nonsense) the messaging is virtually instantaneous. The protocol used
has a good track record and is reliable and robust. It might not suit
what the OP or his respondents want but the bits and pieces to build
such a system are all in Debian.

Yep but it will depend on the number of messages (and their rate) sent. Virtually instantaneous for 2 people, but for 500 ?

In France we rely heavily on centralised messaging system like Hipchat, or Slack.

In the old day, we used bonjour (Apple protocol) for instant messaging with pidgin. Works great but not reliable.

If one machine is down a secondary MX should take up the slack and
deliver the message when it comes back online.