Re: Jessie (8.0) slow to boot

On Wed 31 Aug 2016 at 11:25:17 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 8/31/2016 10:44 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> >Richard Owlett composed on 2016-08-31 09:58 (UTC-0500):
> >>Aug 31 09:13:32 deb8-2ndtry systemd[1]: Job
> >>dev-disk-by\x2duuid-0a344714\x2dae06\x2d43ed\x2daf89\x2d33ba51934630.de
> >>
> >>Aug 31 09:13:32 deb8-2ndtry systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for
> >>device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-0a344714\x2dae06\x2d43ed\x
> >>Aug 31 09:13:32 deb8-2ndtry systemd[1]: Dependency failed for
> >>/dev/disk/by-uuid/0a344714-ae06-43ed-af89-33ba5193463
> >>Aug 31 09:13:32 deb8-2ndtry systemd[1]: Dependency failed for
> >>Swap.
> >
> >Which was installed last, Squeeze, or Jessie? You can expect this
> >message trying to boot the earlier installed installation after
> >having done the later install. Unless you take affirmative action
> >to deny it, an existing swap partition used by the earlier
> >installation will be reformatted by the later installation.
> >Reformatting creates a new UUID, thus making the UUID referring
> >to it in the earlier installation's fstab invalid. The earlier
> >needs to have its fstab edited to use the correct swap partition
> >UUID, or volume label, or device name, if swap is actually
> >desired or needed.
>
> There may be some subtle problems still lurking somewhere which show
> up only for people like me doing many installs of *nearly* identical
> systems.

There way well be. One possible scenario is installing Debian, then
installing again but overwriting the filesystems. To all intents
and purposes, the same responses will get you to the same place,
*but* the swap partition will have been recreated with a new UUID.

To avoid having the swap partition recreated is slightly tedious.
I do it as a matter of course because my swap is referenced by
LABEL rather than UUID. You have to force d-i to install without
one, and then enable it afterwards in VC2 (if you actually need it
for the d-i's use, which I don't) which is disapproved of.

> Commenting out the line in /etc/fstab DID allow it to boot without
> warning messages.
>
> However,taking into account Darac's comments, does this now mean
> that the machines are now operating without a swap partition?

Quite possibly. Do you need it, particularly on the desktop (which
I assume you don't hibernate). Maybe on the laptop.

> IIRC the current instance of Jessie on the laptop was the
> thread should not have had the problem. The laptop is my designated
> "Guinea pig" so I'll do a fresh install to see if problem persists.

Are you copying in a pre-existing /etc/fstab by any chance? Fine if
you use LABELs, but it needs checking/editing if you rely on UUIDs.

Cheers,
David.