Re: Getting fqdn, postfix, Comcast to all play nice together

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM John T. Haggerty <jpcookie@gmail.com> wrote:
Any thoughts for or against Amazon?

Please don't top post on this list, it breaks up the flow of the thread for people who read the thread after it's finished. The primary purpose of the list is to get your questions answered, but the secondary purpose is to help those who come after, and top posting impedes that.

So I need to reply to the comment block in this manner then to avoid that? I've not heard much about that term, and it's been a while that I've used mailing lists. I can understand however, if that's the case.

Anyway, I'm a fairly heavy Amazon web services user, using multiple Workspaces instances (remote desktops), EC2 instances (servers), RDS instances (database, in my case MySQL), and Elastic Beanstalk (self-scaling web site). I find it performant and highly reliable. I can't vouch for the tech support as I haven't really had to use them. They have a user forum which is not terrible but not great. The documentation can be a bit frustrating but if you are willing to devote the time to wading through the adverto-babble the information is there.

Interesting so, the "Workspace" is basically like a vnc into the computer you could access from ec2 but entirely separate and used for desktop/non-server use? If so that would be theoretically awesome for some interesting cases. It could help me not to have to pony up the dough to Microsoft et all directly for a piece of software I may not use all the time, not to mention doing interesting interactive things.

Beanstalk sounds interesting as well but almost overlapping ec2, almost like ec2 on demand just for apache I would guess.

All that sets me back about $250 a month. No doubt not the cheapest but you have to decide if what you want is cheap or good -- you don't typically get both, except sometimes temporarily by luck.

Mark

Nice, but I guess you must get some sort of residual income from that otherwise it wouldn't be important? Good to know that would show a real world use case to give me an idea.

--
"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of 10 million is a statistic" -- Joseph Stalin

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit"
(Translation:
Everything changes, nothing is lost.)
-- Ovid, _Metamorphoses_