Re: Compiling Canon LiDE 220 driver from source

On Tuesday 16 August 2016 17:27:10 Brian wrote:
> On Tue 16 Aug 2016 at 15:39:00 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 August 2016 13:49:48 Brian wrote:
> > > Mea culpa. Please see the apt-get manual: build-dep (no "s").
> >
> > Thanks, both. :-)
> >
> > Everything now built, though there was an error at the end:
> >
> > Now running lintian...
> > warning: the authors of lintian do not recommend running it with root
> > privileges!
>
> You built the packages as root? Lintian would then run as root. There is
> a warning about this. Can be ignored but 'debuild -us -uc' should be run
> as a user.
>
> > W: libsane: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libsane1
> > N: 2 tags overridden (1 error, 1 warning)
> > Finished running lintian.
> > root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files/sane-backends-1.0.25#
>
> Probably nothing to worry about when it comes to using sane. But I am no
> expert here.
>
> Five .debs are built; only libsane, libsane-common and sane-utils need
> to be installed with 'dpkg -i'.
>
> > And although sane-find-scanner continued to be able to see the scanner,
> > scanimage -L continues determinedly not to see it.
> >
> > The Canon LiDE 220 is explicitly mentioned as being supported in the file
> > sane-genesys.5, which is in /etc/sane.d
>
> At least 'sane-find-scanner' works. :) Note that its purpose is only to
> find a scanner. The purpose of 'scanimage -L' is to discover whether
> there is a backend which will drive the found scanner. As you say, it
> should find yours is supported in genesys.conf.
>
> Check that 0x04a9 0x1906 in genesys.conf is matched by what the output
> of 'lsusb' should show (04a9 1906).
>
> Make it easy for 'scanimage -L' and not have it have to search for a
> backend to use: comment out or delete every line in dll.conf apart from
> "genesys" and restart the sane service.
>
> Change USB ports for the scanner. USB2 or USB3?

After a lot more wrong turnings and much agonising, thinking instead of
panicking (at last!) and retrying:

root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files# scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:001:003' is a Canon LiDE 220 flatbed scanner
root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files#

Thank you so much Brian and didier, especially for your patience.

Lisi